1. WHO ARE WE?
Best Beginnings is a charity dedicated to ending child health inequalities in the UK.
The Baby Buddy App (the “App”) is operated by Best Beginnings (“we”). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 5866886 and charity number 1120054 and have our registered office at 12 Vale Royal, London N7 9AP. We are the "data controller" for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998.
2. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process information that you provide in the App. The information collected and processed may contain sensitive personal data such as your physical or mental health or condition, for example about your pregnancy.
The information which is collected and processed by us includes:
Information you provide when you set up your Bump or Baby Buddy profile, register to use the App, post material, participate in polls or surveys, request further services or otherwise use the App, such as:
- identification information, like your name, e-mail address, date of birth, etc.;
- information about your pregnancy, such as the type of user you are (e.g. mum, dad, midwife etc.), your due date, whether you are having a multiple birth (e.g. twins), your relationship status (e.g. with partner, single etc.), whether this is your first baby, whether you are breastfeeding, etc.;
- information about your baby, such as their name, gender, photos, etc. Where you upload such information, you confirm that you are consenting on your baby’s behalf to such sharing, or have obtained the necessary consent from their parent/legal guardian;
- material generated as you complete your Bump or Baby Book. This will be stored securely by Best Beginnings but will only ever be accessed by us with your express permission;
- other information which you provide to us by completing surveys or polls, and which we may combine with other information you provide to use for research purposes, such as your post code, ethnic background, occupation, etc. You do not have to respond to these surveys, but if you do, this information will not be used by us in connection with your appointment details or personal notes and photos. This information may be used to tailor our communications to you if you have chosen to receive emails from Best Beginnings
- information requested in in-App searches. This will only be used for research purposes to make the App better and will not be attached to information that might identify you
- details of transactions you carry out through the App and the completion of your orders and, where you access chargeable services (such as ordering the Bump or Baby Book), your billing information and credit card or other financial information;
- information about your location, which may include general location information (e.g. your post code) and more specific information based on the specific location of your device (e.g. GPS-based functionality). We may use this information to provide you with location based services, such as those accessible in the ‘Bump or Baby Around’ section. If you wish to use a feature which requires personal data relating to your location, we will ask for you to consent to your data being used for this purpose. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable your device’s location services in the device’s menu. If you have any questions about how to disable your device’s location services we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or the manufacturer of your particular device. If you provide us with his information, it will not be used by us in connection with your identification information, appointment details or personal notes and photos. We may also collect technical information like your IP address, operating system and information about your usage of the App. This is statistical data so that we can look at how you use the App and how we can make it better, and which allows us to carry out statistical research to analyse information to identify trends or patterns to help us improve services for mothers and babies. If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. Information about your device including, where available, the device’s unique device identifiers, operating system, browser type and mobile network information, as well as the device’s telephone number.
3. WHAT WE MIGHT DO WITH THAT INFORMATION
The App collects personal data so that it can offer content that is personalised and likely to be of interest to you. Data collected through the app will be used for research purposes to study overall trends and patterns across all users in a way that does not directly identify you. You will only be contacted by Best Beginnings if you select that you would like to receive emails from the charity at signup or to stay updated about the development of new Best Beginnings apps in the questionnaire. Communications from Best Beginnings may be personalised to you according to information you have entered into the App, but data used for this purpose will not be connected with detailed usage data or personal notes and photos.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you the service of the App;
- to back-up your information online;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you;
- to provide you with information, or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes;
- to carry out statistical research to analyse information to identify trends or patterns to help us improve services for mothers and babies;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- to notify you about changes to our service.
If you do not want to receive tailored marketing communications from Best Beginnings, please deselect this option relevant page of the App. You can also opt-out of receiving future marketing communications from us at any time by following the directions contained in the email or text to unsubscribe, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. WHERE WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Where you have chosen a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, sending information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our server; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. We will notify you as soon as possible if we have reason to believe that there are any security breaches affecting your personal data. We do not accept liability for any unintentional disclosure that occurs due to a security breach of our systems or facilities.
5. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Our aim is to help parents give their babies the best start. We may therefore perform or procure third parties to perform research to analyse users' information to identify trends or patterns to help us improve services for mothers and babies. We will only give third party researchers anonymised data which means we won't give them anything that identifies individual users and we won't give anyone any information you write in your Bump or Baby Book.
We may also disclose your personal data to third parties:
- in the event of a merger or reorganisation in which case we may disclose your personal data to a third party as part of such merger or reorganisation; or
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and other agreements.
6. YOUR RIGHTS
You may have consented to us using your information to send you information which we think is of interest to you, for example about promotions and offers in your area. You have the right to ask us to stop sending you these communications. You can exercise this right at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
The App may, from time to time, contain links to and from websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
7. ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.